Hello there foodies and welcome back to our blog! We hope you’ve been having an amazing week so far filled with good food and happy memories. Speaking of good food, have you ever heard of honey walnut shrimp? Well, get ready to be blown away by this delicious recipe! We’ve tried it and trust us, your taste buds will thank you.
If you’re a seafood lover, shrimp is a must-try delicacy. And when paired with sweet and crunchy walnuts, it’s a match made in heaven. The honey walnut shrimp dish is a popular Chinese-American recipe that has been on the rise in many restaurants worldwide. It’s a creamy, buttery sauce that is poured over crispy fried shrimp and topped with honeyed walnut pieces. It’s a perfect blend of sweet and savory, making it a crowd-pleaser for diners of all ages.
Honey Walnut Shrimp Recipe
Are you a seafood lover who’s always on the hunt for new and exciting shrimp recipes? Look no further than this easy-to-make honey walnut shrimp recipe! Not only is this dish packed with flavor, but it’s also a great way to impress your family and friends at your next dinner party. In this article, we will guide you through the steps to make this beautiful dish from scratch within the comfort of your own home.
Before you start, make sure that you have all the necessary ingredients at hand. For the honey walnut shrimp recipe, you will need the following:
- 1 pound of shrimp
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup of cornstarch
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
With these ingredients, you’ll be ready to make a delectable shrimp dish that everyone will love.
Now that you’ve gathered all of your ingredients, it’s time to start the cooking process! Follow these simple steps, and you’ll have a beautiful plate of honey walnut shrimp in no time.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg whites and cornstarch together. This will form the batter that you’ll use to coat the shrimp.
- Add the shrimp to the batter and stir until each piece is well-coated.
- Heat a deep pan of oil to frying temperature (around 350-375 degrees F).
- Carefully place each coated shrimp in the hot oil. Fry for about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Using a slotted spoon, take out the shrimp from the oil and set it on a paper towel to drain any excess oil.
- In another bowl, mix together the honey, mayonnaise, and water to make the honey walnut sauce.
- Heat a small skillet over low-medium heat and put in the chopped walnuts. Toast the walnuts for a few minutes but make sure not to burn them.
- Add the toasted walnuts to the honey-mayonnaise mixture and stir well to combine.
- Finally, add the cooked shrimp to the sauce and stir gently until each piece is coated.
- Add scallions or cilantro as a garnish.
- Enjoy your homemade honey walnut shrimp with your family and friends!
There you have it, a simple yet incredibly delicious honey walnut shrimp recipe that you can easily make at home. With its perfect balance of sweet honey and savory shrimp, this dish is sure to become a household favorite. We hope that you find this recipe helpful and enjoyable, and don’t hesitate to add your own twist by experimenting with different seasonings and ingredients!
Tips for Making the Best Honey Walnut Shrimp
Choose the Right Shrimp
The key to making a perfect honey walnut shrimp is to use fresh and deveined shrimp. The best type of shrimp to use for this recipe is tiger shrimp or jumbo shrimp as these are larger in size and add a great texture to your dish. When selecting the shrimp, make sure that they are not discolored or have a fishy smell, as these are signs that the shrimp may not be fresh.
Toast the Walnuts Just Right
Toasting the walnuts is an important step in this recipe as it brings out the nutty flavor of the walnuts. You need to make sure that the walnuts are perfectly toasted to get the best flavor and aroma. To toast the walnuts, heat them in a pan and stir them continuously until they turn golden brown and aromatic. Be careful not to over-toast them, as it can burn the walnuts and give them a bitter taste.
Adjust the Sauce to Your Liking
The honey walnut sauce is the star of this dish, and you can adjust it to your liking. The recipe uses a simple combination of honey, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. However, you can add soy sauce or chili flakes to give your dish a little extra spice. The key is to experiment with the sauce until you find your perfect combination of flavors. If you like your dish to be sweeter, add more honey, and if you prefer your dish richer, add more mayonnaise.
By following these simple tips, you can make the best honey walnut shrimp that will wow your family and friends. So next time you want to cook something special, give this recipe a try and enjoy the deliciousness of honey, shrimp, and walnuts in one dish.
Serve and Enjoy
By now, you have everything that you need to know about making the delicious and crowd-pleasing honey walnut shrimp. This recipe is so simple, yet it produces such a sophisticated and flavorful dish that everyone will love.
Tips for Making the Perfect Honey Walnut Shrimp
Here are some additional tips to ensure that your honey walnut shrimp turns out perfectly every time:
- Make sure that your shrimp are fresh, and that they are thoroughly cleaned and deveined.
- Do not overcook the shrimp. Cook them just until they turn pink and start to curl, which should take around 2-3 minutes.
- Use high-quality mayonnaise to make the sauce. This will result in a creamier and richer sauce.
- Be careful not to over-fry the walnuts. They can easily burn and become bitter, so keep an eye on them while frying and remove them from the oil as soon as they are golden brown.
- If you want to make the dish a bit healthier, try using coconut oil for frying, and substitute the mayonnaise for Greek yogurt.
Summing it Up
Overall, the honey walnut shrimp is a simple yet sophisticated dish that is perfect for any occasion. It is quick and easy to make, and uses fresh ingredients that will impress your family and guests. The sweet and savory combination of flavors is simply irresistible, and the crunch of the walnuts is the perfect finishing touch.
So why not give this recipe a try? You won’t regret it – and neither will your taste buds!
We hope that you have enjoyed reading about this delicious honey walnut shrimp recipe and feel inspired to try it out for yourself! Cooking can be a fun and exciting way to try new things and impress your friends and family. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different flavors and ingredients to make this recipe your own.
Thank you for taking the time to read our article, we hope that you’ll visit us again soon for more exciting recipes and cooking tips. In the meantime, if you have any questions or comments about this recipe, feel free to leave them below. Happy cooking!
1. Can I substitute the walnuts in this recipe?
Absolutely! You can use any nut that you prefer, such as almonds or pecans.
2. Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
While it’s best to serve this dish fresh, you can make the sauce and batter ahead of time and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to cook the shrimp.
3. How do I toast the walnuts?
Spread them out on a baking sheet and bake them in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 7-10 minutes, or until they’re golden brown.
4. What type of honey should I use?
You can use any type of honey that you prefer, such as clover or orange blossom.
5. Can I use frozen shrimp?
Yes, just make sure to thaw them completely before cooking.
6. How spicy is this recipe?
It’s mildly spicy, but you can adjust the heat level by adding more or less red pepper flakes.
7. Can I use a different type of oil for frying?
Yes, you can use any type of oil that has a high smoke point, such as vegetable or canola oil.
8. Can I double this recipe?
Yes, just make sure to adjust the ingredients accordingly.
9. What should I serve with honey walnut shrimp?
This dish pairs well with steamed rice and steamed veggies, such as broccoli or snow peas.
10. How do I store leftovers?
Store any leftover shrimp in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove before serving.